1. The competition is open to all members of the Faculty of Biology and Medicine at Université de Lausanne from all three university campuses: CHUV, Epalinges, and Sorge/Dorigny. This includes all students, faculty, staff - medical, technical, and administrative, postdocs, PhDs, lecturers, medical doctors, etc.
2. The images must be taken during the time of affiliation with UNIL.
3. There are no restrictions on the type of images submitted (see FAQs). All forms of visual art, photography, and scientific data are welcome.
4. If the images have been published in a scientific journal prior to their submission for the [Figure 1.A.] competition, this has to be disclosed at the time of submission with full information on whether the author has forfeited the image copyright to the journal.
5. Images should be submitted in .TIFF format. Max. Size 100 MB, Minimum resolution: 2000 x 3000 pixels.
frequently asked questions
Q: Is this a photography only exhibition?
A: No, we welcome all types of images, not only photography or microscopy. Send us your computer generated images, data visualization, even drawings or painting renditions of your favourite scientific images. Get as creative as you like.
Q: Can I submit an image, which is not strictly scientific?
A: Yes, go for our category The People of Science. It is extremely broad and welcomes not only people photography, but all images that capture the essence of the science lifestyle with all of its exciting and equally frustrating moments. For example, it can include abstract images, glimpses of the life in the lab, the offices, and the dark rooms.
Q: Do I have to be a Ph.D. or a Postdoc to submit an image?
A: No, anyone affiliated to the Faculty of Biology and Medicine can make a submission.
Q: How do I submit an image?
A: You can make a submission through https://goo.gl/forms/BpKr9jCWC2AVOmkt2. Simply upload your image at your favourite online server and copy the link in the form.
Q: Can I submit more than 1 image?
A: Yes, you can submit up to three images through a single form, however, you are welcome to send us more. Simply fill out the form once more.
Q: What are the requirements for image submissions?
A: Max. Size 100 MB, Minimum resolution: 2000 x 3000 pixels. The file should be named: [Category_number]_[Last name_First name]_[Title_of_the_work].TIFF. When filling out the submission form, don`t forget to let us know about the technical specifications of the image (for the scientists) as well as a general description of what we see (for the general public).